What’s currently happening in the Boroughbridge & District Historical Society?
- At the moment, our public talks and meetings are suspended until further notice. However, many of our members are still undertaking research, so please do get in touch if you are interested in the history of Boroughbridge and the surrounding area.
- The monthly archive meetings, usually on the first Friday of each month, may recommence soon, but to start with these will be strictly for committee members only. However, all meetings are subject to possible change and cancellation due to national or local circumstances.
- Our recently published book on the history of Boroughbridge is still available for sale, see below for more details. Order yours now!
- We are increasing the frequency that newsletters are sent out to members. You can also download the newsletters from this page. Contributions are welcome – see below for more details.
Our recently published book on the history of Boroughbridge is still available for sale, price £15. Copies may be obtained from Pybus Newsagents, or from Boroughbridge Post Office. Or you can contact us to find out other ways to buy.
The committee has met several times recently using Zoom. Our main item for discussion has been when to recommence our monthly society meetings. We considered government guidance relating to community club meetings, the availability of suitable venues for meetings, the age profile of our membership and the practical issues involved in managing meetings safely.
After a thorough discussion, with arguments for and against on the table, we have decided not to recommence meetings for the moment. The committee will meet again shortly to consider any developments that might cause us to reconsider our decision. Our paramount concern is the safety of our members. While we appreciate many people will be missing the social aspects of society meetings, we feel that at this stage it would not be wise to encourage gatherings where social distancing
would be difficult.
As regards membership fees, we agreed that all current members would continue to be members without paying another renewal fee. We will make sure that you are not paying for sessions that were cancelled because of Covid 19.
To keep in touch with members we will continue to provide newsletters. However, their frequency will very much depend on how much material members submit for inclusion. We would very much like you to consider sending us:
1. Articles based on any reading, watching, listening and researching you have done during lockdown. These can be as short as you like, but no longer than 2000 words please.
2. Links to websites you have found interesting with a summary of what they contain.
3. Reviews of history books or historical novels you have been enjoying (or not enjoying).
4. Recollections you have of life in the past, e.g. school days, attitudes to women, family life, life in a particular decade, e.g. Were the sixties really so swinging?
5. Any thoughts and feelings you want to share about Covid 19 and your lockdown experience. Who knows, future historians may need these when considering how the pandemic affected everyday life.
Please submit anything for publication in the next newsletter by mid-November.
Many of our members will still be undertaking research, so please do get in touch if you are interested in the history of Boroughbridge.