North Yorkshire Historic Environment
Maps and linked documents are used to record all locations of historical interest in North Yorkshire. The Record Office was one of the first places we visited.
An enlarged portion of the map provided by the Historic Environment Record Office at Northallerton showing Sites and Monuments Records (SMRs) is shown below.
This shows SMR Number MNY 19498 at the location of the “bank and ditch”.
This is recorded as: “A temporary camp for Dutch Auxiliaries, 1745″ and is described as: “A temporary camp set up in Langthorpe Field, Boroughbridge for Dutch Auxiliaries en-route to join General Wade’s Army in Northumberland in 1745”.
One theory is that the bank and ditch were already in existence and provided shelter for the camp.